Flashback Q&A: Talented El Debarge Tries Luck as Single. The Milwaukee Journal, 1986.

Photobucket


As part of the group DeBarge, pop singer El Debarge, 25, co-produced and co-wrote the group’s three gold albums. One, “In a Special Way,” earned a Grammy nomination. El Debarge sand all five DeBarge pop hits, including “Rhythm of the Night” and “Who’s Holding Donna Now.” He has gone solo now and his first single, “Who’s Johnny?,” was an instant hit. He is single and lives in Los Angeles.

Q: How did your career get started?

A: I had two brothers who were in a group called Switch and they were managed by Jermaine Jackson. They were in a meeting in Jermaine’s office and my sister Bunny and I auditioned for him right there.

Q: Is Eldra your stage name or your real name?

A: It’s my real name.

Q: Where were you born and what kind of childhood did you have?

A: I was born in Detroit, Mich. I was a happy child, with a big family.

Q: How much money do you make?

A: Enough.

Q: Why did you go solo?

A: My family is very talented, so I wanted to give everyone some space to show what they can do.

Q: What go you and your family into singing?

A: We were basically born into it. By the time I started, the rest of my family was already singing.

Q: Was your family mad that you left the group? What will happen to DeBarge?

A: They weren’t mad at all. They are working on another album now. I think they will be very successful.

Q: How man song have you written?

A: I guess it’s over 50.

Q: What kind of instruments do you play?

A: I pay keyboard, synthesizers, piano and the drums.

Q: Do you feel you have less control over your career as a solo artist?

A: No, I think I have the same amount of control as before.

Q: What age are most of your fans?

A: I guess from age 4 to mid-40s, sometimes 50 or 60.

Q: Do you have a new band or do you use studio musicians?

A: No, I have a new band that I am taking on tour. Most of them are from my hometown.

Q: Who is Donna in “Who’s Holding Donna Now”?

A: “Donna” was written by some friends of mind. She’s an imaginary person that everyone can relate to. In “Who’s Johnny,” it’s about the robot in the movie “Short Circuit/”

Q: What kind of car do you drive?

A: A black Rolls-Royce convertible.

Q: Was singing an ambition when you were a child?

A: Yes. We always sand together as a family at church and at variety shows.

Q: Who was your childhood idol?

A: I would say, realistically, it was my Uncle James. I was close to him musically. As I grew up, I became very fond of Marvin Gaye.

Q: Did you have many doubts when you started performing?

A: Yes. I wasn’t really the singer of the family. My sister Bunny, Bobby and James sang, I was just the piano player. I was led into it as I got older.

Q: If a student is so much into singing that they wouldn’t concentrate on studies, what would you say to them?

A: I would say to learn as much as you could in school so that as a musician or song writer you can becomes more intellectual in your craft.

Q: What do you do in your spare time?

A: I play basketball.

Q: When did you start singing for a living?

A: 1979.

Q: What was your favorite song in DeBarge?

A: “All this Love.”

Q: What singers do you admire?

A: I like Peter Gabriel, Madonna, Prince.

Q: Have you been in other groups?

A: Just a few groups when I was young, but we change groups every week. I don’t even remember the names.

Q: What are your favorite hobbies?

A: Basketball, outside of relaxing. The Lakers are my favorite team and I go watch them whenever I can.

Q: Which video is your favorite?

A: My latest, “Love Always.”

Q: What kind of food do you like?

A: Vegetables, rice, Italian food. Anything I don’t have to cook.

Q: Do you take the time to sign autographs?

A: Yes.

Q: Are you planning to make any movies?

A: I think so. I won’t take any acting lessons, though. I have the privilege and the honor of having a great director, who I won’t mention, and that’s all the lesson I need.

Q: Do girls chase you in the street?

A: Yes, but I love every minute of it.

Written By Andrei Puiu, Shomari Bracy and Feroze Khan for Milwaukee Journal, Nov. 1986
Transcribed for the web by thedebarges.blogspot.com

No comments: