Flashback Article: Rabbit. Echoes Magazine, 1985.

Bunny and Eldra Debarge Give Pete Culshaw the Benefit of Their Infinite Wisdom



Photobucket


IT WAS only with the gigantic success of ‘Rhythm Of The Night’ that the name DeBarge registered with a UK audience, but in the States they’ve already had two near million sellers with their albums, ‘All This Love’ and ‘In A Special Way’ which have helped them build up the kind of momentum that means you’ll be hearing a lot more of them.

The ‘Rhytm of the Night’ album has several tracks that are practically dead-cert hits (the next is a ballad called ‘Who’s Holding Donna Now’). Further investigation was clearly in order. Were Mark, Eldra, James, Randy, and Bunny merely this year’s model of the Jacksons? Was ‘Rhythm Of The Night’s hoochie coochie carnival feel merely a tame rip-off of Lionel Ritchie’s ‘All Night Love’? With the next series of Dallas already shown on US TV would I be able to resist asking how exactly Bobby Ewing snuffs it?

Although their press release informs us that wherever the group goes ‘they risk being mobbed by hordes of screaming young fans’, DeBarge hysteria didn’t seems to be in evidence outside Motown’s plush central London offices although there were a couple of girls from Hackney outside who asked in I would send their love to Eldra.

Ace lensmen David Corio and myself waited in reception under a plaque congratulating the record company selling a billion units in South Africa. Just as we are about to launch into an acapella version of ‘Free Nelson Mandela’, we are ushered in to meet Bunny and Eldra.

I talk to front woman bunny first who is enthusing about ‘The Last Dragon’, a film that has just been launched over here after being immensely successful in the States. The film features ‘Rhythm of the Nigh’ as part of the soundtrack. “It’s about a young man who studies martial arts, and meets a young girl who’s played by Vanity who schools him in the art of love,” she explains.

So what happens, does Vanity eat him for breakfast?

“No really Vanity is a very polite and nice girl.”

My expression reveals that ‘nice’ was not the word I’d expect to be used in connection with Ms Vanity.

“So what do you want me to say -- she’s a slob?” queries Bunny. I figure at this moment in time a change of subject might be diplomatic.

Does she find being in a pop group is good or bad for her love life? “It’s not been bad, because I’ve been married for 10 years…” So what does her husband do? “Right now he looks after the kids, we’ve got three of them.”

Nothing like a spot of role reversal, I say, having always wanted to grow up to be a housewife.

With all the Jackson comparison, what makes DeBarge original?

“I think for one thing it’s the harmonies,” opines Bunny, “being a family we’ve been singing together all our lives and we’ve developed this style of vocals. Sometimes I’ll be singings the bottom line and Eldra is on top, and often it’s vice-versa. We both have very good range.”

It’s a point I concede -- the accomplished harmonies on ‘Rhythm Of The Night’ make DeBarge a classier act that mere disco fodder, even if they are hardly likely to go down in history as having changed the face of popular music.

Later on, Eldra agrees, “It’s not what we do but how we do it that makes us stand out from the crowd.”

I ask Bunny if she actually likes the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle, the shows, promotional tours, TV appearances and getting stopped in the street for autographs, “Do you mean do I wish I was a plain and ordinary girl?” she asks.

“The answer is no, because I never have been ordinary. I always know I was special and had a mission in the world. Always. And I’m not saying that in an arrogant way.” I make a mental note to re-read Freud’s chapter on infantile delusions of omnipotence and decide to collar Eldra to get his side of the story,

Eldra is the leader of DeBarge, the others take songs to him and he moulds them into shape. He’s lead vocalist, produces, and helps on the business side. He’s also a looker -- he could pass as Rick James’ better looking younger brother, and in the States is known as something of a heart-throb. Why have DeBarge taken so long to crack the UK?


“Because you English people are so reserved. I think you must save it all up for a rainy day. You make people work for the credit -- you have to be damn good to get appreciation, so we’re privileged to be over here.” He smiles. This man should be a diplomat.

Which comes first for DeBarge, artistic or commercial considerations?

“I want to develop our music and become more popular at the same time,” Eldra comments. But what happens if the song you like best isn’t the most saleable? “It’s a challenge. The mark of a good arranger and producer is to bring two together. If we’re not happy with the music what’s the point? What does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his own soul?”

One way in which DeBarge have added to their commercial clout is by drafting in outside producers like Giorgio Moroder (‘Single Heart’) and Richard Perry (‘Rhythm Of The Night) although Eldra still does some producing. With DeBarge now based in L.A. Eldra says he misses his home town of Grand Rapids, Michigan (home of Al Green).

“L.A. serves it’s pupose but it’s not as warm as my home town. I’m not a very material person. I don’t need flash cars to fulfill me, I’m more of a home body.” Eldra says that if DeBarge get to be fabulously wealthy (and already they are not show of a bob or two) he wants to put some money back into Grand Rapids, building homes for disturbed children, halfway houses for ex-prisoners and generally “make a few dreams come true.”

This is the first time Eldra has visted Europe, but so far he hasn’t had any time to do any exploring. “I’ve just been promoting the record, which is very tiring. If I went to a nightclub I’d probably just sit in the corner moping anyway.”

He says he hopes to do some research into the family tree when he gets to Paris, as his grandmother came from France. “Maybe we could find a DeBarge family crest. Europe just seems so historic -- there’s such a lot of pride and dignity. I just hope I get some time to myself at some point.”

Another thing Eldra’s keen on about England is the music. “I’m quite a fan of your acts like Duran Duran, Wham, Olivia Newton-John…” I interrupt him to disown dearest Olivia who as far as I know comes from one of the Antipodean colonies. Being something of a musical reactionary, personally I like black music from James Brown to Fela Kuti and white pop like Propaganda or Kraftwerk, but am dubious about the current trend towards a homogenous lowest common denominator music.

Eldra disagrees, “ I think it’s great. It shows a musical togetherness. There isn’t that divide between black and white music. You’re not judged based on what race, colour or creed you are. Our father’s while, so we’re creole anyway.”

DeBarge were signed to Motown six years ago after a chance meeting with Jermain Jackson; an on-the-spot audition got Berry Gordy (“the greatest friend anyone could have”) to get out his cheque book. With the younger brother Chico also signed to Motown, the connection between the family and the record company looks set to be even more close. Eldra claims he wasn’t fazed by their initial lack of success. “I was too busy working on my music to get too worried about it.”

There’s a curious sleeve note on the album which goes ‘Special thanks to all the women in our lives for showing us that there is more to life than luv, there’s also pain. But most of all thank you Jesus for the strength to make it through every vixen plague.” But Eldra won’t be drawn into explaining what he means exactly by ‘the vixen plague’, which sounds like a fairly virulent example of misogyny.

“Actually, I really don’t have time for a love life. It’s totally non-existent.” he claims. But surely, being the object of thousands of American teenage girls sexual fantasies he can’t be short of offers?

“I don’t go out, so I don’t get hassled,” is his explanation. Maybe he should get a pet llama like Michael J. “Do you think I should?” Eldra seems momentarily to consider the advantages of having a few animals to play with.

“If I think of something strange enough I’ll let you know. In any case, people just call something weird when what they mean is that they don’t understand it. Maybe I’ll get a dog, at least they’re loyal..”

When I ask him whether he’s list touch with his friends in his home town, Eldra looks positively depressed. “God is my friend, but I never really had many friends anyway.”

So is it lonely at the top? “Well, I’m not sure what the top is. I don’t think we’ll ever be content however successful we are. I do meet people in the industry but God is my only true friend. Of course, you can buy loyalty at the local drug store…”

Part of this spell is something of a ‘misunderstood youth’ act, a product of watching too many James Dean movies, but he’s serious as well. He brightens up when he mentions the tour they fixing up for the UK.

“You’re going to have the greatest time you ever had in your life.”

But his parting words are a repetition of “What does it profit a man to gain the world and lost his soul?”

If I find out the answer to that one Eldra, I’ll let you know.

Originally written by Pete Culshaw for Echoes Magazine, June 22,1985
Transcribed for the internet by thedebarges.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love EL Debarge for what God has done, and allowed him to do with his music and his voice. He is shy and humble, and so soft spoken. Through all his struggles he never forgets to "Thank God" for his live, health and blessings. Keep your head up EL, and continue to lean and trust God. Peace!